While most bomb threats turn out to be hoaxes, they can, nonetheless, cause significant disruption.
We share useful guidance for all school staff who are responsible for handling telephone calls.
- Treat all calls as genuine
- Let the caller finish without interruption
- Obtain as many details as possible
- Make careful note of the speaker’s voice, and any background noises
- Keep your responses to one or two words
- Contact the police
- Pass all relevant information to the police and the building manager/security office
- Pass all information obtained during the call to the incident officer or senior duty officer