10,000 children in care were sent to potentially unsafe places to live – including caravans, tents and barges
- At least 10,000 children in care were placed in potentially unsafe accommodation including caravans, tents and barges, a Sky News investigation has found
- Figures obtained under the Freedom of Information Act show that local councils used unregulated accommodation to house vulnerable children – even though these settings were not subject to inspection or regulation by Ofsted
- Between January 2019 and December 2020, at least 9,990 children were placed into unregulated accommodation by 86 local authorities
- At least 20 children were sent to live in tents or caravans, 17 were placed into hostels, and seven were housed in barges on canals
- The UK Government has said that a ban on unregulated housing for children in care will come into force in September 2021.
- For the full story, select here