Covid lockdown: Children as young as eight self-harming, doctor says
- Children as young as eight are self-harming amid an unprecedented mental health crisis fuelled by the stress of lockdown, a consultant has said.
- Staff at Bradford Royal Infirmary are regularly seeing youngsters who have attempted suicide or taken overdoses.
- The number of children attending A&E in mental ill health has risen from once or twice a week to the same daily.
- Consultant Dave Greenhorn said: “We’ve seen all sorts of tragic things that we haven’t seen before,” he said.
- Mr Greenhorn said although the majority of children were in their teens, those as young as eight were being seen, which was “extremely unusual” before the pandemic.
- For the full story, select here