Wednesday 16th of June 2021
Ofsted: Nude pupil pictures not a safeguarding issue
- Ofsted’s chief inspector has suggested that male pupils sending naked photographs of themselves to female classmates is not a safeguarding issue for schools.
- Amanda Spielman was taking questions from the Commons Education Select Committee this morning, following her watchdog’s publication of a major report last week telling headteachers to act on the assumption that sexual harassment is happening in their schools.
- Today she was asked by Ian Mearns, Labour MP for Gateshead: “When is an allegation of sexual harassment involving a child not a safeguarding issue?”
- Ms Spielman stated that after talking to a sample of girls who had left school within the last two years. Only one of them was able to say that they had never been sent a nude by a boy but that “Most of the girls laugh that off and think it’s contemptible”.
- For the full story, select here.