Free school meals: Poorer pupils miss out in funding change, say unions
- A “worrying” number of poorer school pupils will miss out on extra funding because of a change in the way support is allocated, unions say.
- New figures show more than one in five children in England are now eligible for free school meals – an increase of 420,000 children since March 2020.
- But extra funding for schools will be based on data from last October rather than the latest figures for January.
- The government says the date change will help with budget planning.
- For the full story, select here.