Findings from the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse
- The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA) was created following the abuse allegations against Jimmy Savile, to examine how institutions responded to disclosures of abuse in England and Wales – both in the past, and today.
- During seven years of hearings, 725 witnesses gave evidence and abuse was investigated in schools, religious institutions, and children’s homes.
- One of the main findings revealed that children were not believed and instead ignored, treated as unlikely to be true, or blamed on the alleged victim.
- To read more about the report, go to the BBC’s website.
Instagram’s new anti-abuse features
- Instagram is expanding its efforts to prevent abuse on the platform.
- They will be introducing a direct message (DM) “kindness reminder” when you message a creator, to “help keep Instagram a supportive place”.
- Similar prompts will be added when replying to potentially offensive comments.
- The company has also made it easier to block harassing users, so if a user creates another account, they will also be automatically blocked.
- Find out more on the Engadget website.
New survey by Ipsos provides a snapshot into young people’s lives
- A BBC Radio 1 and Newsbeat survey commissioned by Ipsos has provided a snapshot of young people’s lives in the UK.
- More than 2000 young people aged 16-24 were surveyed.
- Only 17% of young people claim to be positive about the future of UK politics.
- 39% of daily TikTok users’ claim to spend 3 hours or more on average per day on the platform.
- The rising costs of living and inflation was a top worry for 52% of young people.
- To learn more, go to the Ipsos website.