TikTok prankster Bacari-Bronze O’Garro fined £200 and given social media video ban after entering family’s home
- 18-year-old Bacari-Bronze O’Garro (Mizzy) from Hackney, has been given a criminal two-year criminal behaviour order and told to pay a total of £365 after entering a family’s home for a TikTok video.
- The behaviour order states he cannot publish social media content without the consent of those included.
- He admitted to one count of failing to comply with his community protection notice from last year.
- It was reported that the family was in great distress, after asking O’Garro to leave their home multiple times, with the mother believing it was an attempted burglary.
- O’Garro apologised to the family and reported that he had an “extremely difficult childhood” and was raised by a single parent.
- For more, please visit the Sky News website.
Social media firms have made children subjects of ‘decades-long experiment’
- US top health official Vivek Murthy has said that there are “ample indicators” that social media platforms have profoundly harmed young people’s mental health.
- Mr Murthy has called for safeguards from tech companies for children who are at critical stages of brain development.
- The advisory has stated that technology companies have a vested interest in keeping users online and use tactics that encourage people to engage in addictive behaviours.
- The report includes advice for parents, tech companies, and children and young people on how to avoid dangerous social media use.
- It reads that policymakers should strengthen safety standards for children of all ages and calls on tech companies to be more transparent about data showing the impact of their products on children.
- For more, please visit the Telegraph’s website.
The following story may be regionalised.
Pupils who used food banks in pandemic fared worse at GCSEs, study finds
- New research which forms part of the Covid social mobility and opportunities (Cosmo) study has indicated that children whose families used food banks during the Covid-19 pandemic, lost half a grade on average per subject.
- The study is jointly led by the UCL Centre for Education Policy and Equalising Opportunities (CEPEO), the UCL Centre for Longitudinal Studies and the Sutton Trust.
- The researchers are tracking 13,000 young people in England due to sit A-levels and other qualifications this summer.
- The study reported that 39% of households were worse off financially than pre-pandemic.
- Additionally, 82% of parents and 53% of young people who were struggling financially, were four times as likely to report poor mental health than those living comfortably.
- Sir Peter Lampl, the founder of the Sutton Trust reported that, “Unless action is taken, there is likely to be a worsening of mental health which will affect a whole generation.”
- A government spokesperson has stated they are supporting vulnerable pupils through pupil premium funding.
- For more, please visit The Guardian website.
Emergency summit on school violence to be announced as incidents soar
- On Thursday, freedom of information (FOI) requests revealed there were nearly 15,000 incidents of violence reported last year.
- 10,852 of these incidents were from primary schools.
- A debate took place in Holyrood on Wednesday, where education secretary Jenny Gilruth announced an emergency summit to address the issue of violence in schools.
- This comes after Watchdog Education Scotland published a review in April that found bullying across Scottish schools was at risk of being under-reported as it wasn’t being recorded properly.
- For more, please visit the STV News and Scottish Government website.